A reader commented on yesterday’s post, “Afraid of Meds,”
My fear, I think, would be not so much the dependence—but what would happen if I did need that medicine and it suddenly became unavailable, like I couldn’t get my prescription because of a natural disaster or something like that. …Would going off of those meds cold turkey put me at a real disadvantage?
In my late 20’s I had similar fears, only for me it was related to my eye-glasses. Because I didn’t tolerate contact lenses, I especially had vivid fears of getting into the driver’s seat of my car without my eye-glasses anywhere to be found. Living on loans at the time, I took out extra money and got LASIK eye surgery. Oh the joy when I woke up one morning and could see clearly, high-definition, no glasses to grope around for, freedom!
Unfortunately in neuropsychiatry, we don’t have the privilege yet of offering many curative options like LASIK surgery for emotional illnesses. I don’t believe it’s too far off in the future. It wouldn’t be wild to say our children may have those options some day. For example, embryonic stem cells may offer a cure for disorders such as depression and schizophrenia. However, until a cure becomes as available as Prozac or even LASIK eye surgery, the reader quoted above has a reasonable fear. Medication becoming unavailable is a disadvantage.
Now I’m not great at twisting reasoning powers, so I’ll say this as best I can. That’s like not getting eye-glasses because we are afraid of loosing them.
So to this reader quoted above and to you I ask,
Question: What do you think? Treatment or no treatment? Please tell me your story.
Self Care Tip #53 – If you are ill, get as better as you can. Be a friend to yourself.
Related Articles From FriendtoYourself.com
- Mental Illness Relapses When Medications Are Stopped http://bit.ly/pA4kxo
- Number One Reason For Relapse In Mental Illness http://bit.ly/rt1qJf
- Are Your Meds Safe? http://bit.ly/lh1cBh
- Say Yes to Medication And No To Drugs http://bit.ly/oX12i0
- Fears of Addiction To Medications for Brain Illness http://bit.ly/oWY8i4
- Other Fears of Medication For Brain Illness http://bit.ly/qdHksR
- Afraid of Meds http://bit.ly/rjt7wY
- Full Treatment Response Means a Better Future http://bit.ly/ph84ZU
- When It Is Time To Take Medication http://bit.ly/nbIYLT