When is it time to use medications for mental illness?
It is time to consider a medical cause for your behavior and mood when:
1. you can no longer control them
2. they affect the various areas of your life
3. you start having other physical symptoms not accounted for through medical exam and studies, such as:
- sleep changes (Pearl: Sleep is known as the vital sign in psychiatry.)
- change in energy
- gastrointestinal – stomach upset, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea, change in appetite
- neurological – headache, numbness, tingling, shaking, change in response time physically or verbally
I’m sure I missed a few things, but roughly, these are guidelines that can apply to most mental illnesses on multiple spectrums, such as anxiety, mood, psychosis, addictions, and even character pathology.
According the numbers count done by NIMH:
…about one in four adults — suffer from a diagnosable mental disorder in a given year. When applied to the 2004 U.S. Census residential population estimate for ages 18 and older, this figure translates to 57.7 million people. …mental disorders are the leading cause of disability in the U.S. and Canada.
When you next go outside and walk in a crowd, count them. One, two, three, mental illness. One, two, three, mental illness. And so on…. If you suffer from mental illness, you are not alone.
If you buy any of this, if you see these things in yourself, consider seeing a physician for further evaluation and possible medical care.
Self-Care Tip #108 – Take medication if it’s medical. Be a friend to yourself.
Question: How has your definition of mental illness affected your ability to get treatment? Or how has it affected your interaction with those who are in treatment? Please tell me your story.
- What is mental illness? (bps-research-digest.blogspot.com)
- Would You Want A Psychiatric Patient Living Next Door? (psychologytoday.com)
- Mental Illness Relapses When Medications Are Stopped http://bit.ly/pA4kxo
- Number One Reason For Relapse In Mental Illness http://bit.ly/rt1qJf
- Are Your Meds Safe? http://bit.ly/lh1cBh
- Say Yes to Medication And No To Drugs http://bit.ly/oX12i0
- Fears of Addiction To Medications for Brain Illness http://bit.ly/oWY8i4
- Other Fears of Medication For Brain Illness http://bit.ly/qdHksR
- Afraid of Meds http://bit.ly/rjt7wY
- Full Treatment Response Means a Better Future http://bit.ly/ph84ZU