I should feel happy.
In Mona’s efforts to process what it meant for her to claim her emotional freedom, she tripped over this,
I should feel happy.
I almost tripped too, with, “No you shouldn’t!” But wouldn’t that have been weird?
Freedom to feel how we feel is not the same as picking and choosing our feelings from the great many genetic options we have all been given.
“No. I’m going to a meeting today. I’m going to feel powerful, confident, secure and somber. I’ll save ‘happy,’ for later when I come home.”
Ahem. That sounds like another indenture; some other short sugared path to being controlled.
The first part of emotional freedom is simply unwrapping the gift.
“I have this collection of shiny and not so shiny gifts that are accumulating in the attic. Nope. Never opened them.”
Open the gift of emotional freedom or not, it’s still ours. It’s ownership isn’t about what we’ve done to get it or keep it. That’s what a gift is. Free. There’s no negotiation; no exchange. It’s a one way path to our home, attic or living space as it may be.
I hoped for Mona that she would grow in her awareness of her freedom. No other goals at the moment; no happiness quest. No scavenger hunt for emotions she wanted and house-cleaning for those she didn’t want; just an awareness that what she felt was hers. She was free.Questions: Have you felt free to feel? Or do you believe that you feel the way you do because of what others do to you? Is this a useful thought-paradigm to you? Please tell me your story.
Self-Care Tip – Open up your gift and check out your emotional freedom. Be a friend to yourself.
Related articles from FriendtoYourself.com
- You Become What You Pretend To Be (psychologytoday.com)
- Are you an indentured servant? (slavewage.wordpress.com)
- Emotional Freedom How to liberate yourself from negative emotions and create a positive life. by Judith Orloff, M.D. (protectivemothersalliance.wordpress.com)
- Letting Go of Your Fears, Beliefs, and Thoughts That Don’t Support You (designwithjoy.wordpress.com)
- The Beauty and Freedom of Losing Control (shareyourlovestory.wordpress.com)