A day or two ago we talked about life-ers. You and I gave our own. Whatever yours is, you are not alone. We share that being a friend to ourself means embracing our flaws, going towards our flaws and letting the shame dissipate in our familiar presence. Weather it’s cigarettes, weight, yelling or cow-tipping, resisting our instinct to hide it, to ignore it and deny it brings us into a place of friendship and connection.
In all my blah-blah’s, sometimes people just want me to get down to the specifics. I’ve never found those to be too exciting for me personally, but they do help when afraid.
Today I’m going to hit weight management up. When hope seems to be leached out by failures, these are my efforts that keep me connected to my journey. I eventually always go back to these.
Three Things That Have Long Term Influence on Weight Management:
1. log your food. For example, Sparkpeople.com or myfitnesspal.com are both wonderful sites that will help with this free, including apps for our smartphone.
2. weigh yourself every day. Just weighing in has long-term benefits. Sweet. Improves presence with our bodies, awareness, goes towards shame, etc…
3. compete/support network
4. the rest of it. This is for all the other stuff that is critical on many levels. However, only the three things I’ve mentioned have been shown to have long-term effects.
I know. Where are my references? This is my blog, so me. But there are references if you like. I don’t have time to pick them off of my under-table unfortunately. Hope that doesn’t keep you from participating with us.
Self-Care Tip – Know where to go when you feel afraid – towards it and not away.
- Self-esteem Issues and Difficulty Losing Weight (mariaslastdiet.com)
- reader request: sparkpeople 101 (backtoherroots.com)
- MyFitnessPal – A Cross-Platform Calorie Counter & Diet Tracker (makeuseof.com)
- Eating Is Not a Hobby (changeyourlife2011.wordpress.com)